Mystery and crime books from Australia. News, views, reviews, releases and author appearances - crime fiction in Australia. Crime novels, mystery novels, detective stories, police procedural books, thrillers and soft-boiled mysteries

Friday, July 20, 2007

Someone Stole the Ending To The Butcherbird - and I'm not happy about it.

I’ve just come back from a quick visit to Borders where I checked out every copy of The Butcherbird and to my dismay I found that they all end on page 274 with Popsie (yeah, I know…crap name) about to board the boat. See this previous post for details.

If it’s not a mistake, and it’s beginning to look more and more as though it’s not, then the only thing I can think of is that there will be a sequel that will pick up from this point. If that’s the case then this would have to be one of the clumsiest attempts at leaving readers in suspense that I have ever come across. As things stand, The Butcherbird has no ending. Nothing is resolved, all the open mysteries remain open…and a mystery.

I’m actually having trouble moving on to the next book because of this and that’s really annoying because the book I’ve moved onto is In The Woods by Irish author Tana French and it is shaping up to be a cracker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes you wonder what author/editors/publisher were thinking.

Anonymous said...

I think its for real. Maybe big Mac's now in publishing.

I guess its the doc the Pope handed to Maroubra and the person who welcomed aboard Popsie, that ties it all together.

In a word "Lame"