Mystery and crime books from Australia. News, views, reviews, releases and author appearances - crime fiction in Australia. Crime novels, mystery novels, detective stories, police procedural books, thrillers and soft-boiled mysteries

Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Mystery or Corporate Farce

I've got my hot little hands on a copy of Max Barry's latest book titled Company and published in Australia by Scribe. Now some people will howl their disagreement but I've listed it as a mystery novel. I'm well aware that it may very well sit more appropriately in the popular fiction or humour section of the bookstore but I'm sticking to my guns...for the time being.

I'm basing my reckless assertion that this is a mystery novel, based on the fact that Zephyr Holdings the Company in question is "an ordinary company. Or at least that's what everyone thinks." Now that just shrieks mystery, doesn't it?

That being said, I'm only a few pages into reading it and already have been snickering quietly to myself at Barry's bitingly amusing delivery.

* When describing Elizabeth - If Elizabeth's brain was a person it would have scars, tattoos, and be missing one eye.

* When describing the Zephyr Holdings building - It is a building designed by committee: all they have been able to agree on is that it should be rectangular, have windows, and not fall over.

* On Elizabeth again - Elizabeth has shoulder-length brown hair that looks as if it has been cut with a straight razor and a mouth that could have done the cutting.

Call it satire, call it humour, call it insightful commentary on today's corporate world...but for the time being, I'm calling it a mystery. (Course, that could change by the time I'm done reading it).

Company was released earlier in March after a fairly quiet start to the year in terms of new Australian Crime releases.

No comments: